Thousands of turkeys. Dozens upon dozens of pumpkin and pecan pies. Schoeps ice cream, cartons of eggs, a gallon of milk and all the makings for stuffing.
This November, Goodman Community Center is collecting holiday food essentials for its 29th annual Thanksgiving Basket drive. Jon Lica, Goodman's corporate giving coordinator, ran the drive for several years, and he joins Cap Times food writer Lindsay Christians on the podcast this week to talk about the ingredients of a Goodman Thanksgiving basket (including a foil roasting pan) and the challenges of providing 3,500 families with a feast to remember.
Mentioned in this podcast:
- HyVee at 3801 E. Washington Ave. is doing a "buy a ham, get a turkey" promotion that allows for easy donation to Goodman
- Through Nov. 10, sponsor a pie at Monty's Blue Plate Diner with a $11 donation
- Cranksgiving, the bike ride/food drive/scavenger hunt, is set for Nov. 18 at 9 a.m. It's free but sign up to participate at Eventbrite.
- Coordinating a food drive with friends or colleagues? Check the Goodman website for a grocery list and what's needed most.
- Sign up here to take a volunteer food drive shift.
The Corner Table is on iTunes! Subscribe and leave a review here.