As this tumultuous year comes to a close, many are wondering what they can do to unite and strengthen our community. Consider a year-end gift to Community Shares of Wisconsin and its 66 member nonprofits.
Community Shares of Wisconsin and its members work together to advance social justice, protect the environment, and defend civil rights in Dane County and across Wisconsin. They envision a future of clean water and air, family-supporting jobs, and safe, healthy, thriving communities.
When you support Community Shares of Wisconsin, you support partnership and idea-sharing among the leaders of nonprofit organizations. Its unique structure promotes collaboration rather than competition for limited resources.
By giving to Community Shares of Wisconsin, you also support the work of its nonprofit members to advance lasting change. Groups like:
• UNIDOS Wisconsin, Freedom Inc., the Dane County Rape Crisis Center, End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin, and the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault — groups at the forefront of the local movement to end sexual assault, harassment, and domestic abuse in Wisconsin.
• League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, a nonpartisan advocate for redistricting reform and other policies to ensure all eligible voters in Wisconsin can have their voices heard on election day.
• Environmental groups like 1000 Friends of Wisconsin and the Sierra Club-John Muir Chapter, which fight to protect our natural resources and build sustainable communities. They partnered with fellow CSW members ACLU of Wisconsin Foundation, Wisconsin Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired, Disability Rights Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice, plus other nonprofits, to host community forums across the state to improve Wisconsin’s transportation system.
• Dane County Time Bank and its innovative restorative justice Youth Court, which provides an alternative to the juvenile justice system.
• Organizations that transform our community one person at a time — groups like Housing Initiatives, which ends homelessness for those experiencing mental illness by connecting them with housing and resources.
• And dozens of other groups that collectively work to end systemic racism, advance the rights of LGBTQ people, advocate for fair wages for all, improve our food system, and fight for affordable housing.
When you support Community Shares of Wisconsin, you support a local movement for change right here in Dane County. We urge you to learn more about Community Shares and make an end-of-year donation at www.communityshares.com.
Share your opinion on this topic by sending a letter to the editor to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name, hometown and phone number. Your name and town will be published. The phone number is for verification purposes only. Please keep your letter to 250 words or less.