How to Submit
Obituaries may be submitted for publication two different ways. You may email it to us at email@example.com, or fill out the form on Madison.com, at http://host.madison.com/news/local/obituaries/ on the right side.
As with all our obits, please be sure to include the dateline (primary city/cities of residence) and date of death. Also, please specify which day you would like it to appear in the paper.
If you are submitting the obit by email, we need:
2) Billing address
3) Phone number
4) Verification of death — The name and phone number of a funeral home, cremation service, hospital, nursing home, etc. We will call them to verify. OR a copy of the death certificate. OR the web link to the online obituary at a different location.
5) Prepayment — Once we receive and format your submission, we will reply with a copy of the proof, including the cost, for your review. We will prompt you to call back with a credit card by the finalization deadline (below).
Submission deadline (obit received and the above information included in the email)
• For Tuesday-Saturday publications, 1 p.m. the day before
• For Sunday and Monday publications, noon the day before Finalization deadline (all changes made and payment received)
• For Tuesday-Saturday publications, 3 p.m. the day before
• For Sunday and Monday publications, 2 p.m. the day before
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
No photo - $9.90/line
One photo - $10.20/line, photo is free
Two photos - $9.50/line, $150 for two photos
No photo - $12/line
One photo - $11.70/line, photo is free
Two photos - $11.50/line, $150 for two photos
A base price of $87.50 is applied to all obituaries.
An average line of text is approximately 66 characters (with spaces), or 11 words.
• The obit can be sent in a Word document or with the text pasted into the body of the email. Please do not send as a PDF because we need to be able to copy the text out.
• We prefer photos to be attached in JPEG format. We will edit and crop to 1.5”W x 2.25”H.
• If you include a quote, please make sure it’s not copyrighted. If known, please include author. We will remove it if there is a copyright conflict.
• We edit according to the AP style. Most likely, we will make some minor changes, such as abbreviations, punctuation, etc., so that it’s in the AP style. We do not change the content.
• The obituary will also appear online at Madison.com as of 4 p.m. the day before if published in a Tuesday- Saturday paper. Or, as of 3 p.m. the day before if published in a Sunday or Monday paper.
• We do not allow wording that redirects readers to another location for more information, a full obit, etc.
Please send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
General obituary line: (608) 283-7600