Two buildings on Madison's West Side were evacuated and one person was injured Thursday when a mixture of two chemicals created a hazardous reaction, the Madison Fire Department said.
Nitric acid combined with an unknown chemical in a container in a laboratory at 601 Science Drive around 1 p.m., and the reaction injured a person, who was then transported to a local hospital, fire department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster said.
All occupants of both 601 and 603 Science Drive evacuated, Schuster said. They buildings reopened around 2:20 p.m. after the reaction was stabilized and other lab containers were secured.
The fire department's hazardous incident team investigated the laboratory, Schuster said.