A Mauston woman faces child abuse and neglect charges after investigators say a child told school officials she had hit him in the face. According to a sheriff’s deputy, the child had scratches on the right cheek of his face.

Kayla Alexander, 26, is charged with physical abuse of a child and child neglect. She faces up to 6 years imprisonment for the first charge. She made an initial appearance in court Oct. 11 and was released on a $5,000 signature bond Oct. 12. As a condition of her release, she was ordered to have no contact with her minor children unless coordinated with an official from Child Protective Services. She is due in court again Nov. 8.

According to the criminal complaint:

On Oct. 10, a sheriff’s deputy was advised by dispatch to contact CPS about a 5-year-old at a Mauston elementary school. CPS and law enforcement were both present when they met with the child, who said Alexander had hit him in the face.

The child said she had hit him because he would not wake up that morning.

CPS noted that they had observed “red scratch-like/broken blood vessel type marks, a mark on the right eyelid, and swelling on (the child’s) face.”

CPS interviewed the child and his 7-year-old brother. The 5-year-old said Alexander slaps him when he does not get dressed for school or clean his room. The 7-year-old said they wear the same underwear for a week and are only bathed once a week on Mondays.

“At school if you lied you could not get hurt but at home (you) could get hurt,” the 7-year-old said during his interview.

A sheriff’s deputy and CPS questioned Alexander about the children’s statements. She claimed that she had merely spanked the 5-year-old and when he dropped to the ground she accidentally slapped him across the face. She admitted to yelling at the children “a lot.” She stated that she felt “horrible” about what had happened. Alexander also said that she and her husband Brian will take their children’s toys and even break them and throw them away if they are left out for too long.

The 5-year-old and his three siblings were taken to Tomah Memorial Hospital for wellness checks. Reports are pending.

You can reach Jake Ekdahl on Twitter @JakeaEkdahl