RANDOLPH — Randolph police investigated a report of a child who received candy that had seemed to be tampered with on Saturday while trick-or-treating in the village, but they do not believe there was any intent to harm children by those handing put the candy.
Randolph Police Chief Michael Klavekoske said in a Facebook post on the Randolph Police Department page that he is confident that the residence that gave out the Now and Later candy had been located and the residents of the home had no knowledge that the candy had been tampered with before giving it out to children.
“Persons who reported tainted or tampered candy were interviewed and these interviews led to a specific area in the village where the candy came from,” Klavekoske wrote. “A call was then received from a person living in this area, stating they in fact had given out this brand of candy. After interviewing the residents of this location, we are confident that nothing was done by anyone at this residence to in any way tamper with or contaminate this candy with any foreign substance.”
Melissa Stancer said that her husband Fred Stancer noticed the candy was tampered with and they contacted the police to make sure no other children ate it.
“The white wrapper was discolored and smelled like oil,” Stancer said. “I called Dodge County, who had a Randolph officer call me. We took the candy to the officer to see and smell and he agreed it smelled like oil.”
Stefanie Moldenhauer of Randolph also found the candy in her child’s trick-or-treat bag.
“You can clearly tell the difference in the same kind of package between them,” Moldenhauer said.
Stancer said it is possible the candy was just old, but urges others to be diligent with their children’s treats.
“Check your children’s candy 100 percent of the time,” Stancer said. “You just never know.”
The location where this candy was purchased has also been identified, Klavekoske said, and a follow-up investigation will be done at that location.
“Investigation will also be done to attempt to identify what, if any, foreign substance was placed on the candy,” Klavekoske said.