First United Methodist Church is celebrating the 180 years since Methodism was established in Madison. As part of the special anniversary celebration, the church invites members of the public to attend a walk journeying through the religion’s Madison history on Nov. 19.

Events will begin at the 9 a.m. church service led by Bishop Hee-Soo Jung. After the service, Jung will lead the “Bishop’s Walk” around the Downtown area highlighting special liturgical locations.

The walk will include special places where the Methodists worshiped in their early days in Madison.

According to organizers, the first religious service was held in a rooming house on the corner of East Washington Avenue and North Pinckney Street in 1837.

Around 1849, the early Madison Methodists built their first church building on the corner of North Pinckney and East Mifflin streets, and then a large Gothic-style church was built at Wisconsin Avenue and East Dayton Street in 1873.

Both the morning service at the church, at 203 Wisconsin Ave., and the “Bishop’s Walk” are open to the public.

For more information, call Bobbi Foutch-Reynolds at 920-478-2115 or the church office at 608-256-9061.

Outbrain