A $223 million plan to upgrade recreational sports facilities at UW-Madison passed overwhelmingly among students in an election that ended Wednesday.
Between Monday and Wednesday, students voted 12,070-1,914 to approve the facilities plan, which will improve the campus' aging fields, gyms, pools and tracks. The approval means the portion of student segregated fees used to fund recreational sports facilities will nearly quadruple by the time all the renovated facilities are reopened.
Student fees are budgeted to pay for 57 percent of the total $223 million cost. The other 43 percent of funds would come from donor gifts, expected to be $56 million, $30 million in state funds and $7 million from the school's athletic department.
Currently student segregated fees amount to $565 a semester, with $37 of that supporting recreational sports facilities. The increased fees from the referendum won't kick in until the renovated facilities open, eventually rising to $145 a semester for recreation facilities. Various components of the plan are scheduled for completion between 2016 and 2022.
Voter turnout reached 34.4 percent this week. Only 14.9 percent of students voted in last year's elections.