Serge Trezy came to the University of Wisconsin this spring having never played cornerback.
It then shouldn’t be a surprise that the junior college transfer was working at a more familiar position Wednesday night.
The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Trezy took reps at running back during positional and 11-on-11 drills during practice, a place where he’s starred in the past.
“We wanted to take a look at what Serge can do,” Chryst said. “Just see if it’s a place that suits him.”
Trezy rushed for 814 yards, averaged 7.8 yards per carry and scored six touchdowns in 2013 at Eastern Arizona.
As a three-year starter at running back in high school, he rushed for 4,164 yards and 54 touchdowns.
Wednesday was a mixed bag, though. During Trezy’s few reps during 11-on-11 drills, he made some impressive cuts but was stopped for a big loss on one play and also lost a fumble.
“He did some good things,” Chryst said. “He didn’t take care of the ball very well, but for his first snaps, he did alright. We’re really early in it.”
Trezy’s development at cornerback didn’t appear to be progressing too quickly as he hadn’t been one of the top four at the position to get reps with the first team.
From the infirmary
Chryst said cornerback Derrick Tindal suffered a concussion Sunday and that the team has no timetable for his return.
Tindal was hospitalized after Sunday afternoon’s practice when a collision with running back Taiwan Deal left him unconscious. He was released that night.
• While it was no surprise Tindal wasn’t on the field, it was more of a surprise Robert Wheelwright didn’t participate.
Offensive coordinator Joe Rudolph said Sunday he expected Wheelwright to return Wednesday, but the junior wide receiver sat out for a second straight practice.
• Fullback Austin Ramesh suffered a right hip injury while running a route during practice, and his status for Friday’s practice remains unclear.
• Redshirt junior safety Leo Musso, a standout performer in Sunday’s scrimmage, was wearing a walking boot on his left foot and did not practice.
• Center Dan Voltz, who suffered what Rudolph believes is a high-ankle sprain Sunday, also was wearing a walking boot on his left foot.
• Outside linebacker Garret Dooley began Wednesday in pads and did some individual work before taking the rest of practice off.
• Cornerback Devin Gaulden, fullback Derek Straus, offensive lineman Aidan McNamara, tight ends T.J. Watt and Eric Steffes and wide receivers Connor Senger, A.J. Jordan, Jake Stengel and Peter Roy remained out.
Running back Caleb Kinlaw earned reps during 11-on-11 drills for the first time this spring. … Safety Tanner McEvoy intercepted Joel Stave during 7-on-7 drills. … Preferred walk-on linebacker and former Marshall standout Ty DeForest intercepted freshman Alex Hornibrook during 7-on-7 drills. … Things got heated between offensive lineman Ray Ball and defensive lineman Conor Sheehy during 11-on-11 drills, but the two were quickly separated. … Chryst jokingly booed Dare Ogunbowale after he dropped a pass during positional drills.