big ten network

DISH agreement with Big Ten Network falls through

2012-09-15T11:20:00Z 2013-07-17T17:15:51Z DISH agreement with Big Ten Network falls throughNICK HEYNEN | Wisconsin State Journal | nheynen@madison.com | 608-252-6126 madison.com

The Big Ten Network's agreement with DISH Network has fallen through, leaving Badgers fans with the satellite TV service in the lurch ahead of Saturday's 7 p.m. game against Utah State.

Elizabeth Conlisk, BTN's vice president for communications and university relations tweeted the news shortly after midnight Saturday:

"As of September 14th, BTN's distribution agreement with Dish expired despite our best efforts to finalize an agreement. We are disappointed that Dish does not see the value in the network in the same way that so many of their customers do, including Big Ten students, alumni, fans and viewers across the country who continue to pay Dish for a channel they no longer receive."

In a release on their website, BTN is saying DISH dropped the channel on Friday after attempts to reach a deal fell through.

"(DISH) continued to insist on preferential treatment by demanding better terms than our agreements with their competitors," the release said.

In a news release, DISH senior vice president of programming Dave Shull said BTN was demanding higher fees than other major distributors.

"Such an increase would equate to more than DISH pays per subscriber for NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network and Golf Channel combined, and would result in unreasonable monthly fees for DISH customers," he said.

Shull said DISH will continue to work with Fox, part owner of Big Ten Network.

"We hope they will adopt a more reasonable attitude in regard to the price they want to charge, so we can make that channel available to DISH customers again," he said.

In the Madison area, the Big Ten Network will continue to be shown to subscribers of AT&T U-verse, Charter TV and DirecTV, according to BTN's iwantbtn.com.

1. olno55
    olno55 - September 16, 2012 4:54 pm
    BTN is owned by Fox. Enough said. And all you people jumping to other providers like Fox (as advertised on Fox) and BTN want you to, what do you think is next for them when their contracts come up? That's been the history with Fox Sports providers. Divide and conquer. Trouble is it ties greed into college sports and gives the UW and other Big ten schools a black greedy eye also. They need to get out of this arrangement. I would rather watch the games on taped delay on public television like the old days than to pay anymore money to greedy Fox. No, I am not dropping Dish. They and their customer service have been great to me and are looking out for me.
  2. sporttaucher
    sporttaucher - September 16, 2012 10:07 am
    It’s obvious where the issue lies, it’s BTN. This “network” was fired up only to suck $$ from its fans. Now the sports Lemmings just can’t live without BTN where just a few years ago it was broadcast free on your local Big 10 university television channel.
  3. lester_burnham
    lester_burnham - September 15, 2012 7:00 pm
    BTN greed rears it's ugly head again. It's bad enough that BTN foists their fee on every subscriber but also want a premium fee for it from the carrier. BTN is obviously anti- Big Ten fan. Good on Dish. Every other carrier has blinked
  4. Danaj75
    Danaj75 - September 15, 2012 6:09 pm
    I don't care about all the crap that goes on in the office of DISH Net Work. I do know that I pay for the Big Ten Network so damn it I want to be able to watch it when I want too. So because of their bull crap now I can't watch the Badger Game and that sucks.
  5. dashhandsome
    dashhandsome - September 15, 2012 3:59 pm
    You also can't watch IFC, which has some funny programming. If you're with Dish, dump it.
  6. noname12
    noname12 - September 15, 2012 2:09 pm
    Internet streaming....sounds great, if only broadband internet was readily available. Satellite customers are often rural, which are also the same customers with difficulty getting broadband internet.
  7. thedude25
    thedude25 - September 15, 2012 1:58 pm
    Greed,greed, greed.
  8. bananahammock
    bananahammock - September 15, 2012 1:18 pm
    Dante: a bit harsh but I'm with you. Until I can pick the channels I want I'll be sticking to OTA and streaming feeds. BTN suggested that they stream live to only to find out you need a "cable" subscription for access unlike ESPN3.

The liberation from a cable bill (for 8 years now) is an amazing feeling. besides for some games like this I'd rather give $ to a local bar and spread my payment out to the cable company.
  9. noname12
    noname12 - September 15, 2012 12:35 pm
    Dish CEO made $10,000,000 in compensation last year. I think Dish's actual choice is paying the CEO or providing a service their customers want.
  10. seered
    seered - September 15, 2012 11:08 am
    I guess that's why god invented sports bars, for times like these.
  11. dante
    dante - September 15, 2012 11:03 am
    Media providers (ie, BTN) are the primary reason your cable/satellite bill is $100+/month. They continue to demand higher and higher fees, along with insisting that their channel is offered to everyone (as opposed to being on some sort of sports-tier). It's PATHETIC. Want to know why you can't just choose channels a la carte? Media providers. Want to know why you have to pay for channels you don't watch (ie, sports, children's programming, HGTV, etc)? Media providers. They STINK.

It's why we dropped our TV subscription and went back to OTA signals (and internet streaming). Most of the games this season are either broadcast over the air (ABC) or are on ESPN (which shows the games on ESPN3.com). For the occasional game that's not (like tonight's game), we'll just head out to a bar to watch the game. Same with the Packers. Screw BTN, and screw U-Verse/Charter/TDS/Dish/DTV/etc.
  12. Greggar
    Greggar - September 15, 2012 10:23 am
    It is worse for us up in Brule, WI.

All the "local" channels are from Duluth MN. No Packers if the Viking are on Fox.

also only Minnesota news

13. whatever4
    whatever4 - September 15, 2012 9:55 am
    I'm so glad, just got rid of Dish and TDS (internet & phone) this last Thursday (just in time to watch the Packers).

I'm saving money, a lot better reception on HD, more channels for less and no more pixels or lost of service for me! DISH service was horrible! Worst mistake I ever made, I'm glad we are back to CHARTER!

Tried getting U-verse but they were having problems with my line, tried several weeks to get it installed, had to disconnect my internet for two weeks and they never figured it out. AT&T employes are paid to LIE to their customers in telling them that they will return calls. They are on a call center so you never get the same person twice nor do they transfer you to the last person who was helping you. Charter was here within days and did a GREAT job!
  14. boilermaker
    boilermaker - September 15, 2012 9:07 am
    This is insane. If Charter wasn't so expensive compared to Dish, I'd switch right now. As it is, TDS TV can't come fast enough.

Latest scores and more from all sports

MLB:  News | Scoreboard NFL:  News | Scoreboard NBA:  News | Scoreboard
NHL:  News | Scoreboard NCAA FB:  News | Scoreboard NCAA BK:  News | Scoreboard
Golf:  News | Leaderboard Auto Racing:  News | Results Tennis:  News | Scoreboard
Other: MLS  |  Womens NCAA BK  |  WNBA  |  CFL  |  Minor League Baseball  |  NFL Draft  |  NBA Draft