Long-time Sauk Prairie coach Dan Winzenried, distance running icon Chris Solinsky and record-setting sprinter Joanna Schultz will headline the Wisconsin Track Coaches Association (WISTCA) Class of 2013 Hall of Fame that will be inducted in Milwaukee on Saturday.
The induction ceremony will be held Saturday afternoon at the Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport Hotel to conclude the 24th annual WISTCA Clinic, in which more than 1,000 coaches from Wisconsin and surrounding states are expected to attend.
Dan O'Brien, 1996 Olympic decathlon gold medalist and three-time world champion, will deliver the keynote address at Friday night's anniversary dinner. Featured clinicians will include Verona native Luke Sullivan, a four-time All-American in discus at UCLA, former U.S. Olympic Trials competitor and WISTCA Hall of Famer
WISTCA HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2013
• Rick Buss, Green Bay Preble
• Tom Dakin, Whitefish Bay
• Linda Hoffman (Zeske), Green Bay Southwest
• Joanna Schultz, Holmen
• Chris Solinsky, Stevens Point
• Marcia Taddy, Two Rivers
• Coach Pat Prochnow, Green Bay Preble
• Coach Dan Winzenried, Sauk Prairie
WISTCA will honor the 2012 boys and girls Athletes of the Year along with boys and girls District Coaches of the Year.
ATHLETES OF THE YEAR
• Girls - Molly Seidel, University Lake School (Hartland) swept the Division 3 1,600 and 3,200 at the state meet in June to become just the second athlete in Wisconsin history to win the same two events for four consecutive years. She set a WIAA Division 3 record in the 3,200 in 10:21.93, breaking her own mark set in 2011. She won the 1,600 despite suffering an injured foot during the race that forced her to skip a chance to win another state title in the 800. She also owns the Division 3 record in the 1,600 (4:51.54), and ranks in the top five all-time in the state in that event. She now competes for Notre Dame.
• Boys - Carl Hirsch, Brookfield Central won three state titles as a junior -- the 3,200 in 9:12.76, the 1,600 in 4:08.21, a time that makes him the seventh-fastest prep all-time in Wisconsin, and anchored the 3,200 relay, which ran the fastest time in state history in 7:40.09.
COACHES OF THE YEAR
• District 1 boys - Mary Patterson, Chequamegon
• District 1 girls - Judy Weiss, New Richmond
• District 2 boys - E.J. Otto, Marathon
• District 2 girls - Dave Bielmeier and Kevin Ruplinger, Edgar
• District 3 boys - Niels Anderson, LaCrosse Central
• District 3 girls - Shane Ilstrup, LaCrosse Aquinas
• District 4 boys - Thain Jones, Freedom
• District 4 girls - Victor Murphy, Bay Port
• District 5 boys - Dan Schettler, Belleville/New Glarus
• District 5 girls - Doug Maughan, Sun Prairie
• District 6 boys - Joshua Herrell, East Troy
• District 6 girls - Brian Borkowski, University Lake School (Hartland)
• District 7 boys - Mike Steiner, Brookfield East
• District 7 girls - Andra Gremer, Milwaukee Riverside