Sun Prairie Fire Engine
BILL NOVAK | bnovak@madison.com

People living in a 12-unit apartment building in Sun Prairie were evacuated into the cold early Thursday morning due to a food fire in one of the apartments.

The displaced residents were taken to temporary shelter because of the very cold temperatures, the Sun Prairie Fire Department said.

The fire was reported at about 1:40 a.m. in the 600 block of Shiller Street.

Fire crews and Sun Prairie police found heavy smoke on the second floor of the building, with smoke going down to the first floor.

"Both fire and police units worked rapidly to evacuate the building and to get all residents out," said Fire Chief Christopher Garrison.

Firefighters found a second-floor apartment with the door open  and food burning on a stove top. The apartment was unoccupied.

"The crew eliminated the hazard and the fire call was downgraded to smoke removal," Garrison said.

The building was ventilated and residents were allowed back into their homes after about an hour.

1
0
0
1
0

Bill Novak is a general assignment reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal.