Madison Fire Department truck
Madison Fire Department

A boiling pot of cauliflower is being blamed for setting off a carbon monoxide alarm in an East Side apartment, with nobody injured in the incident.

Firefighters went to the 20 block of Sherman Terrace at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday because a carbon monoxide detector went off, with above normal readings found at the door.

"The readings reached above 30 parts per million as firefighters suited up and put on their self-contained breathing apparatus," said Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster.

Every room of the apartment was searched but no apparent source of the CO could be found.

"After the apartment was ventilated, the occupant informed firefighters she had been boiling cauliflower for a long period of time," Schuster said. "Firefighters determined this was the source of incomplete combustion that led to the carbon monoxide readings."

Madison Gas and Electric had been called to the scene but the crew wasn't needed once the source was identified.

Angry
0
Sad
0
Funny
0
Wow
1
Love
0

Bill Novak is a general assignment reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal.