Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Madison house fire

Firefighters on the scene of a house fire that killed one Saturday on the 4200 block of Sheffield Road.

Madison Fire Department

A man who died in a fire Saturday night at his home on Madison's Southwest Side has been identified as Patrick M. O'Brien.

The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office said O'Brien, 64, died from injuries sustained in the fire on the 4000 block of Sheffield Road. The Madison Fire Department was alerted about the blaze at the single-family residence about 6:50 p.m.

By the time firefighters arrived, a woman had made it out of the house, but it was reported someone might be trapped in the home.

Firefighters pulled O'Brien out of the house, which was engulfed in flames, the Fire Department said. Resuscitation attempts at the scene were unsuccessful.

Logan Wroge has been a general assignment reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal since 2015.