As an Edgerton man was dying in June from a drug overdose, two women, including his cousin, shoved him into the cab of his pickup truck and hoped that he’d recover but did not call for help, according to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday.

Angel R. Hendrickson, 28, of Stoughton, and Kathryn S. Dustin, 35, of Madison, were both charged with first-degree reckless homicide for the death of Hendrickson’s cousin, Joshua Hendrickson, 32, whose body was found behind a Culver’s restaurant in Stoughton on June 3.

Before taking him to Stoughton from the Dutch Mill park-and-ride in Madison, where he had passed out, Dustin slapped Joshua Hendrickson’s face repeatedly, telling him, “C’mon, Josh, wake up, I’m not going to jail for you over this,” Angel Hendrickson told police, according to the complaint.

Dustin also was charged with felony bail jumping, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Hendrickson also faces a charge of delivery of lorazepam. They are scheduled to appear in court this week.

According to the complaint:

Angel Hendrickson told police that the prior evening she and Joshua Hendrickson went to the park-and-ride at Broadway and Stoughton Road to sell her lorazepam to Dustin. She said her cousin and Dustin left in Dustin’s Jeep and when they returned, he was “completely out of it.”

They were unable to rouse him, so they drove his truck back to Stoughton and parked it in the Culver’s parking lot, then moved him into his truck.

Dustin told police that during their ride earlier, she had given Joshua Hendrickson some heroin , and that he shot it into his hand with her syringe. He had passed out by the time they reached the park-and-ride, Dustin said.

She said she told Angel Hendrickson, “We’ve gotta get him outta here. Nothing good will come of this.”

When they left him, Hendrickson said, he was still making moaning noises. Then she went to care for her 3-year-old son, who had been with them the whole time .

After an autopsy, Michael Reuf of the Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that Hendrickson had died from “acute intoxication of clonazepam and heroin.”


Ed Treleven is the courts reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal.