West Side cooking fire Aug. 23
MICHELLE STOCKER, CAPITAL TIMES

A man was taken to the hospital Wednesday for smoke inhalation from a cooking fire on the Far West Side, the Madison Fire Department said. 

An unattended cast iron skillet heating olive oil for dinner caused the fire at the apartment unit on the 1100 block of High Point Road at about 7:45 p.m., said fire department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster.

When a smoke alarm sounded, the man came into the kitched and saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the pan, she said. He put out the fire with baking soda. 

Property managers estimated the damage at about $5,000, according to the fire department. The man was taken to the hospital because he had inhaled a lot of smoke during the incident. 

Angry
0
Sad
0
Funny
0
Wow
0
Love
0

Chris Aadland is a reporting intern for the Wisconsin State Journal.