This State Journal editorial ran on Feb. 2, 1918: Madison is like a wheel in its layout. The thoroughfares that radiate out from the Capitol Square are like the spokes in a wheel, and the Square is not unlike a hub.
From this hub, trade radiates. The wheel is a big wheel, for Madison is a trade center not only of Dane county but of most of the territory of all the counties adjacent to Dane.
Some little time ago, one of the established stores on “the hub” of this trade wheel of ours was severely damaged and its trade interrupted by fire. The firm of Karstens & Schmitz, who operate their mercantile establishment under the name of The Hub, did the wise thing of moving into a temporary store.
Since the fire they have entirely remodeled their old establishment, and with true Madison spirit of being bigger and better than ever, they are back at the old place made new. Their old trade will continue under new and better conditions.
Their fellow townsmen are glad to welcome them back to their old place on the Square. The Hub is back on “the hub.”