The Madison Catholic Diocese could be emailing priests so many other “general considerations” right about now. Memos should focus on:
- Raising awareness and support for refugees who continue to be displaced throughout the world.
- Reducing the appalling amount of gun violence in our country.
- Drumming up funds for the Catholic Multicultural Center, which is a proven social service gem in our community.
- Spreading the word about The Beacon, the highly anticipated day resource center for the homeless that just opened and is being run by Catholic Charities.
- Talking openly about sexual oppression and assault, which affects women (and men) of all backgrounds.
This is the kind of controversy I relish: promoting the radical, compassionate -- and dare I say scandalous? -- lifestyle of Jesus himself.
Laura Bird, Madison